26 Next-Level Fall Trench Coats to Scoop Up STAT
They don’t make trench coats like they used to. Sure, you may have a classic khaki trench coat and a rainy day slicker (or two) on standby, but that’s only the beginning. Straight off the catwalk — and hopefully in your closet very soon — the latest iteration of the timeless trench has been reimagined to fulfill a variety of style sensibilities and occasions. Whether you’re the self-proclaimed risk-taker type or someone who swears by the classics (streamlined and Parisian-chic, please), there’s no shortage of double-tap-worthy options to scoop up for Instababe-approved style this fall. Ahead, we’ve compiled 26 groundbreaking trench coats for women — everything from lavish suede and sleek patent interpretations to trend-right utilitarian styles with a military undertone — that were designed with the contemporary boss babe in mind.
1. Zara Water Resistant Trench Coat ($169): While rainy days may be the furthest thing from your mind when it comes to shopping for a fall trench, we’re happy to announce that this water-resistant option has got your back — you know, just in case you actually willingly venture out into the elements (be it rain, snow or sleet). Bonus points for the girlboss-approved shade of red that’s giving Burberry a serious run for their money.
2. Monki Trench Coat ($98): Heads up, fashion girls. Feast your eyes upon the elevated forest green trench that will never cease to amaze you — it’s that versatile and ready to mingle. Style it for the boardroom with a crisp white button-down and jacquard trousers before slipping out for a GNO, in which case a free-wheelin’ jumpsuit and lace-up ghillies will be in order.
3. Express Red Soft Long Trench Coat ($148): Proceed to stand out from the crowd in this fiery red trench that packs major panache. Standard khaki is SO yesterday, amirite? Not only are we low-key obsessed with the vibrant look-at-me hue, but the lazy girl-approved drapey silhouette has us swooning hard.
4. Mango Faux-Fur Collar Trench ($130): Hello, anything-but-blasé trench with a side of sass. The faux-fur collar and decorative patches are naturally speakin’ to our “more is more” aesthetic — ‘cause why should you have to settle for plain and mainstream when outrageous and bold is so much more your style?
5. Front Row Shop Army Green Oversized Trench Coat ($113): It’s officially safe to say the whole army trend won’t be fading away anytime soon. Introducing the roomy olive green trench that will have you channeling your inner GI Jane during off-duty days and glamping trips to the mountains. Don this edgy topper and the don’t-mess-around ‘tude will follow.
6. J.Crew Collection Red Plaid Trench Coat in Nylon ($298): Preppy girls will flock to this It girl-approved plaid trench that will put even your beloved waxed field jacket to shame. Seriously! More a stylish topper than an actual defense against the elements, this plaid capsule wardrobe essential will be in heavy rotation come the holiday season. Style it with a sequined skirt, a bow-neck blouse and velvet loafers for a look that would do Blair Waldorf proud.
7. & Other Stories Belted Trench Coat ($195): Ah, the artful slouch. When it comes time to tick all the boxes, a slightly oversized fit always rules supreme in our book. Enter the not-too-heavy, not-too-light belted trench that promises to keep you looking effortlessly chic on brisk fall days. Seriously, just toss this bad boy over black culottes and backless mules for a minimalist look that can double for work and play.
8. ASOS Duster Coat in Utility Styling ($106): Oh, this old thang? Season to season, the utilitarian look always seems to be in. This army green duster coat with shoulder epaulettes and pockets aplenty is no exception. It looks best teamed with ripped black jeans and a chambray shirt, but don’t be mistaken — come after-hours, it stuns with an LBD and ankle-strap steppers. We’re especially digging how it looks styled here with a short lob.
9. Express Tan Genuine Suede Trench Coat ($348): At last: a genuine suede trench that won’t completely break the bank. And don’t even get us started about that dreamy camel hue. For maximum impact, style this cozy outer layer with a ribbed turtleneck, a flirty mini and suede ankle booties, or go boho with some vintage flea market flares. Either way, you’ve got it made this season.
10. Elvi Velvet Trench Coat ($164): For when it’s so cold you can’t even feel your toes, you’re going to need a plush velvet trench in your arsenal for safe keeping. While the rich burgundy hue naturally takes on a more refined appearance (perfect for all those midnight strolls, natch), you can’t deny its daytime potential when thrown together with rolled-up boyfriend jeans and d’Orsay flats. We’re so down.
11. Topshop ’80s Funnel Trench Coat ($210): Among all the one-hit wonders, there’s something to be said about a timeless ‘80s-inspired funnel trench that never steers you wrong. That’s a fact, friends. Allow this casual-cool British topper to take every ensemble up a notch (or three), and let the compliments start racking up.
12. Selected Foby Coat ($286): What to do when you’ve got zero seconds to spare? We thought you’d never ask. Streamline your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with this wardrobe workhorse that you’ll reach for time and time again. Give off the impression that you’re too legit to quit by classing this gray wool-blend trench up with a menswear-inspired button-down, high-waisted mom jeans and two-tone loafers. Let it be known: The self-tie waist and super relaxed fit will streamline your life times a thousand.
13. & Other Stories Wool Trenchcoat ($275): Can you say coziest topper of the season? We say yes. You best believe this black wool trench will keep you snug once the first polar vortex hits. Way more substantial than your run-of-the-mill rainy-day anorak, it’ll work overtime to shield you from the elements and ensure you don’t miss a beat in the style department. As long as a leather moto skirt and OTK boots are in the equation, you’ll be more than fine.
14. American Apparel Lightweight Dylan Trench ($120): Don’t expect any warmth from this royal blue silk trench that would best be reserved for the bedroom, although you *know* we’ll be sporting it IRL too. Proceed to style it with a v-neck tee, relaxed jeans and suede mules for anything from a low-key candlelit dinner with bae to a casual Friday at the office. We think HR would totes approve.
15. Free People Military Fur Trench ($750): When military-inspired details meet the season’s It trench, the result is groundbreakingly awesome. Just how DDG is this longline trench — featuring a dramatic faux fur collar and military-inspired buttons — that requires zero introduction? It’s begging to be styled with a come-hither lingerie-style slip dress, chunky combat boots and a black beanie for an angsty fall uniform.
16. Zara Long Trench Coat ($169): Take an everyday trench, slap a contrasting belt on it and BAM! A new and improved trench is born. Leave it to Zara to make us yearn for a statement-making trench we didn’t even know we needed. (You’ve got to admit: That cinched-in waist is actually kind of brilliant.) *Adds to cart without any hesitation.*
17. ASOS Wool Blend Coat With Contrast Jersey Liner ($128): Usher in an athleisure spirit with this double-duty wool blend trench that brings the swagger. Featuring a jersey liner and drawstring hood, it’s a way-chic alternative to any ol’ frumpy hoodie or predictable track jacket. Pair with leather joggers and Yeezys for a foolproof combo that slays from dawn to dusk.
18. Pixie Market Olive Long Robe Coat ($199): Here we go again with the tie-waist robe coats that take on the look of your wear-everywhere trench, but shell out WAY more heat. Fully lined and ready to be layered, this moss green topper will keep you toasty once the treacherous temps hit and work its magic around the clock to ensure you’re workin’ it like Olivia Pope.
19. Elvi Metallic Trench Coat ($224): If *only* channeling your inner “nasty woman” were as easy as pairing this metallic trench with a first-lady-approved pantsuit and a bold red lip. But actually. File this sartorial showstopper under things to wear when you’re trying to impress the higher-ups. It’ll serve as the exclamation point to every fine-tuned #OOTD from here on out — no ifs, ands or buts about it.
20. Forever 21 Belted Trench Coat ($48): Busy girls, get excited — mastering that whole desk-to-drinks balancing act is about to become a cinch thanks to this lightweight mauve trench that miraculously looks just as flawless with a pencil skirt as a bodycon dress and platform heels. The open-front design and longline silhouette make it easy-peasy to slip this hero piece on at a moment’s notice for instant style on the fly.
21. Religion Padded Maxi Trench Coat ($226): When your favorite puffer crosses paths with a wear-everywhere trench, this padded maxi womens black trench coat in disguise is the unexpectedly chic result. We’re not hating it. Whether you’ve got a tumultuous morning commute ahead (we’re talking single-digit temps, people!) or have plans to hit the slopes, bundling up like a marshmallow (albeit a chic one) is never a bad idea.
22. Trademark Patent Trench ($729): So. Much. YAS. You asked for a next-level trench, and we’ve uncovered one of the best in the business — although, be forewarned, it’s going to cost ya. Rest assured that you will be spotted a mile away when parading this attention-getting slick khaki stunner around town.
23. ASOS Duster Coat in Check ($106): We’ve uncovered the quintessential duster coat for when it’s not too cold, but just chilly enough to whip out an extra outer layer. We’re partial to the mod check print that’s bound to look darling with a drop-waist dress and Mary Janes come NYE. Edge it up with the right key pieces, like gray jeans and studded ankle boots, for a winning outfit formula.
24. Mango Leather Trench ($300): Take it there with this catalog-perfect leather trench that reads tough-girl-in-training. It’s a no-brainer for boho babes who intend on wearing their ruffled maxis through the dead of winter with bare legs and ankle boots, as well as those who swear by Docs (Doc Martens, that is).
25. Reformation Mod Trench ($288): Nothing to wear? Not if we have anything to say about it. If you only invest in one coat this fall, make it this navy twill trench that can be haphazardly thrown over everything for convenience sake. Rain or shine, day or night, this overachieving topper is a certified crowd-pleaser.
26. Free People Suede Trench ($1,000): Feeling spendy? Once no-spend November is over, don’t hesitate to treat yo’self to this OMG-worthy suede trench. The soft and luxurious texture itself will make you want to put down a buy-now-pay-later deposit. We recommend styling it with a choker-neck blouse, throwback flares and chunky clogs for a double-tap-worthy look.
Will you be investing in a next-level trench this fall?